Thursday 20 November 2008

Bit o' this, bit o' that

It's my mum's birthday today, there are bugs in my hair, all the gel pens are running out. My legs are itchy and my feet are SO GODDAMN ITCHY. Today was pathetic, I am a waste of space. Procrastination! Who needs to pass year 12? Not I!

Urrf Patrick Wolf is no longer a ranga, to add to the utter awfulness of my life. He has new hair, it's silvery blonde. He also has a new double album coming out next February, half of which will feature Alec Empire of Atari Teenage Riot. That half will be "punky and aggressive" and named 'Battle'. These are all the wonderful things I learn from month-old NME articles when I should be starting one hundred million assessments!

"He said that 'Battle' was inspired by a period of depression he suffered a few years ago."I was having to play songs about a past relationship, I'd been through three management changes, I was breaking up, going insane," Wolf told NME.COM. "I revelled in my depression and began attacking politics and the people around me. It's an aggressive noise punk record."Wolf added that the 'light' side of the album, in contrast to 'Battle''s sombre tone, will be more uplifting. "I've found my true love, who has practically saved my life," he explained. He added: "That's in contrast to the inspiration for 'Battle', which was me thinking, 'Will I ever be in love again or will I be a bachelor for the rest of my life?'"

Wine of the day: Zonin Asti Dolce. So sweet, so sparkling!

Art of the day: The Truth About Comets and Little Girls
by Dorothea Tanning, 1945


I was trying to find Conposition with Figures on a Terrace by Leonor Fini or Judith by Richard Oelze, because they fit my mood today very rather better, but Google images has let me down. This painting is undeniably lovely though. Apparently it's a reaction against the rhetorical use of the femme-enfant by Andre Breton and other male Surrealists... Stick it to the maan Melusine!

Word of the day: dingle: (n): a small wooded hollow.

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
The night above the dingle starry,
Time let me hail and climb
Golden in the heydays of his eyes,
And honoured among wagons
I was prince of the apple towns
And once below a time
I lordly had the trees and leaves
Trail with daisies and barley
Down the rivers of the windfall light.
- Dylan Thomas

I have a mandolin, I play it all day long, it makes me want to kill myself...