Monday 18 May 2009

In defence of the word 'cookie':

Like most good, kind and free-thinking Australians, I am generally anti-Americanisation language-wise. But I have just officially decided to make a permanent exception when describing choc-chip biccies, or any of those soft sweet baked things. 'Biccies' is fun to say because it makes me feel like an absolute Aussie and a sweet old nana, but amongst certain circles it just doesn't feel quite right. And 'biscuit' in its full form is nowhere near jolly enough. And according to the Online Etymological Dictionary:

biscuit
respelled early 19c. from bisket (16c.), ultimately (1330) from O.Fr. bescuit "twice cooked," alt. under infl. of O.It. biscotto, from M.L. biscoctum, from L. (panis) bis coctus "(bread) twice-baked."

cookie
1703, Amer.Eng., from Du. koekje "little cake," dim. of koek "cake," from M.Du. koke (see cake). Slang application to persons attested since 1920. Phrase that's the way the cookie crumbles "that's the way things happen" is from 1957.

Little cakes are cute! Sold! And "twice-baked" rather smells like inaccuracy to me! Also, the 'Biscuit Monster' would have sounded really menacing so the USA wins this round... Cookies for all peoples. However, 'lolly' still forever wins out over 'candy'. The former is derived from 1362, lollen "to lounge idly, hang loosely," perhaps related to M.Du. lollen "to doze, mumble," or somehow imitative of rocking or swinging. Specifically of the tongue from 1611. Which I think is hilarious and good. 'Candy' has evolved from the Old French sugar which evolved from Arabic from Persian from Sanskrit (probably) from Dravidian (possibly). Too much history! It overwhelms the simple sweetness!

So this is because I was eating a freshly baked cookie just then I was like, "Shit what do I call it?" then I decided what to call it, then I decided that this all required a public manifesto in the shape of a blog entry. Procrastinating? Who, me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I'm here online for the kids of Haiti.

I'm at this site for a non-profit haiti group in which the main focus is to
creating an oppurunity for the children in haiti. If anyone wants to give money then this is the place:

[url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

They provide kids in Haiti books and teach them.

And yes, they are legitimate.

Please help us